Saturday, May 17, 2008

On a sunny, 70 degree day in Vermont...

I'm impatient with myself that I have yet to really get out and explore the area sans the enclosure of my midsized, auto-locking doors, air-conditioned 4-door sedan. Yet all I can think of at this moment is the local newspaper article this week that said that a man in New Hampshire had a collision with a bear while driving his motorcycle on the highway. Just when I think I have mentally conquered this issue, some article like this sends me back to my city-girl-conditioned state of hyper-vigilance. So we'll see...

But I at least dressed for the occasion today. At my favorite coffee spot, the waitresses have started asking "Are you working today?" the last 3 Saturdays that I was in. So apparently, I'm over dressing. So today I put on un-ironed brown cargo pants (rolled up a neat 3 inches above my ankle), flat brown strappy sandals, layered tank tops, and a red sweatshirt (and of course, my fabulous, trendy blue/brown Belizean choker). They seemed relieved this morning to see that I have some "non-work" attire in my closet. My new favorite waitress there is Russian. Her husband is a glass blower at Simon Pearce in QueChee. They came to the States 3 years ago and live above the glassblowing studio in town. They have a 15 year old daughter. She seemed very happy to talk with me. She took the job to work on her english - and I told her she had great english skills. So we're bonded. I heard from my masseuse at the Stronghouse spa that the Russian masseuses in Boston are the BEST. Stronghouse is the eco-spa I have been frequenting because of trauma from pilates (2 sessions now, muscle trauma both times) and my inability to position my ergonomically-correct $1200 Herman Miller office work chair at a comfortable height for marathon online report reviewing and approving. I have had Belizean massages, Korean massages, Romanian massages, Japanese massages - but NOT Russian. I think I must try this...!

But otherwise, things are going well. I can't believe I'm at home for a 3rd weekend in a row. In GR, I usually would go away at least 1-2 weekends a month and here I am, spending a 3rd straight weekend in VT. I considered going away last weekend, but looking at rejuvenating, reachable-within-3-hours locales online, I realized that I didn't want to deal with traffic (which ruled out big cities and cape cod) and that actually, water-view aside, most people would be paying big bucks for my house and view (even tho the leaves on the trees obscure the valley view abit). So I stayed put and lounged on my deck in my chaise reading "The Love Bug and Other Tales of Psychotherapy" by Dan W. Briddell. Fascinating book. Now I'm reading Midnight Musings of a Family Therapist by Carl Whitaker. Equally fascinating. Both are books I picked up at the Dartmouth 5 colleges book sale a few weeks ago (annual event, all books under $4.00, I got 31 books for $39.00). Am trying to re-orient my mind to clinical work versus thinking-like-a-law-firm-recruiter.

So that's the news! Everyone have a great, great day and I'll chat with ya later.
Marilee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Test comment.