Saturday, August 30, 2008

Happy Labor Day!

Happy Labor Day everyone!

Yes, finally back online after, what, almost 42 days off? Time flies. Am finally settling back into my routine. Had two great visits with Tony, Jen, Paul and Deb and then Brian, Sally, Julia, and Joshua. Visited the great NYC with both families and ate a lot of good meals, went kayaking, played alot of speed scrabble. It was really wonderful to see them and show them "my world."

So, since then have been playing catch up at work. Work is going well - we had a foster parent appreciation bbq last weekend (where I was officially introduced) and this fall will be full with several trips to corporate headquarters for training (Diversity, Foundations of Supervision, Families for Life) and Team Leader Meetings. I also signed up for an Ethics training, held conveniently on the coast of Maine (nice opportunity to get back there since I haven't been there in a couple of months).

This weekend I'm using today as a catch up work day since the weather is not cooperating. May catch a movie later. My housemate is gone so I've got the house to myself except for the dog walker that is coming over 3x daily to walk the dog. Unfortunately, "scootie" is quite unmanageable for me given his size and strength so I have taken a pass at being responsible for him. But I felt bad when he was howling in his cage last night at 3am, missing his owner. 4 days in a cage except for 3 walks daily seems cruel to me - but given he can't be left alone in the house and won't cooperate enough for me to just take him outside and let him spend some time on his chain, there aren't other good options. (Yes, I know all my "dog-owner friends are appalled - but Scootie is no Jack or Daisy, Whit and Joni). If he is agitated again tonight, I may advise her that it's best for her to find someone to keep him at their house next time she has extended time away.

My housemate has also really wanting a third housemate to help cover costs with winter coming. So we've posted some ads on Craig's list and uvscene.com (Upper Valley Scene) but we'll see what comes of it. Saving money is always great - but for me, it needs to be the right person. I love having time to myself at the house and our current setup has worked great. I woudl prefer to keep the 3rd bedroom as a guest room but I guess, unless I'm willing to pay extra, I should be more understanding of her limited cash flow issues (she makes 1/3 of what I make). But, even if that happens, there still will be room for guests as we have 3 couches and the loft and I would gladly offer up my room (with attached private bath/deck) to any guests who come this way for some fall foliage getaways(hint hint)....

So my plan for tomorrow and Monday is beach beach beach time. I have a small beach about 3 miles from the house which is lovely. I've been reading Gayle Tsukiyama's The Samuri's Garden" which is FABULOUS, so I picked up two more of her books at the discount book store. Bought a ton of fruit at the Farmer's Market, some mojito mix, a few movies, and am going to enjoy the last legs of summer (as the trees here are already starting to turn!).

So hope all is well in your world! Knighten and Kate, I'm thinking of coming to NYC (adjacent to trainings in New Haven, CT) Nov 4-5, 11-12, or November 15-16 so if you two are around those weekends and want to hang out, let me know!


Love,
Marilee

No comments: